Seven Things Rudolph Never Told You
by Teri Wilson, Author of Sleigh Bell Sweethearts
Tis the season for Christmas trees, carols, Nativity scenes, sleigh rides...and reindeer. Sleigh Bell Sweethearts, the Christmas book in my Alaska series for Love Inspired, tells the story of Zoey Hathaway, a charter pilot who unexpectedly inherits a reindeer farm. And the reindeer come with an even bigger surprise -- their brooding ranch hand, Alec Wynn.
Just in case you find yourself in Zoey's predicament, here are seven surprising facts about reindeer...
1. Both male and female reindeer grow antlers.
2. Reindeer legs make a unique clicking sound when they walk, so they can find one another in a blizzard.
3. Reindeer noses have the ability to warm the air before it gets to their lungs.
4. Reindeer can run up to 48 miles per hour. Whether or not they can fly is debatable.
5. Male reindeer shed their antlers at the end of mating season in early December, which means that Santa's sleigh is run by girl power!
6. Reindeer are the only mammals whose eyes appear to change color. In the winter, their eyes appear blue, but in the summer, when reindeer experience almost constant sunlight, their eyes are gold.
7. Reindeer feet are the widest of any deer feet. The special width of their hooves act as snowshoes for walking in Arctic snow.
On top of all that, they are adorable!
Owning her own plane is all charter pilot Zoey Hathaway's ever dreamed of. So when she inherits a struggling reindeer farm, with three dozen unruly reindeer and one dangerously attractive ranch hand, Zoey's well-crafted plans seem to fly out the window. Now she must put her trust in Alec Wynn, and hope that the troubled cowboy's past won't interfere with her plans to save the farm. Zoey knows that if she wants to succeed, she can't do everything on her own. But as she accepts Alec's help, she'll soon realize it's not just her farm that's at stake—but her heart.