Thursday, December 18, 2008

On the Seventh Day of Christmas





On the Seventh day of Christmas,

My true love sent to me
Seven flags a waving,
Six teens a texting,
Five sparkling Ipods
Four kissing frogs
Three chocolate bars
Two sparkling gems
And a flamingo in a tutu

Seven flags a waving?

Christmas isn’t normally what comes to mind when we think of a patriotic holiday. Waving flags come to mind on the Fourth of July or Memorial Day, but say the word Christmas and we think of the Nativity scene, decorated trees, the smell of pine and pretty presents spilling out from beneath the branches. Festive lights, family gatherings, solemn church services, jingling bells and snow, but not flags.

Maybe we don’t think of flags because this is supposed to be a time of peace on earth and good will toward men. A tiny babe born in a stable brought us that promise. Angels of God announced it to us. Jesus was born the King of Jews and yet He had no flag, no banner to proclaim his Kingdom because His kingdom is not of this world.

I believe one day His peace will cover the earth, and I will rejoice with my Lord and Savior face to face.
Growing up in America, it’s hard to imagine that there are countries where I would be arrested and jailed, or worse, just for saying that out loud. Aren't we blessed?

Today, I’m sending a special thanks to all who have, or who are, currently serving this country in the military. Without the sacrifices of so many American servicemen and women, I wouldn’t be able to worship as I see fit. Defending our way of life includes defending our freedom of religion. Thousand upon thousands of American lives have been laid down to protect not just our physical country, but to protect the ideals we hold most dear. Our faith is the dearest one of all.

Let us remember our brave soldiers and their families this holiday season. Add a small American flag to your collection of Christmas tree ornaments . The red, white and blue will fit in perfectly with any holiday décor.


Oh, wait a minute. Why stop at one? There’s plenty of room on that tree. Why not have seven flags a waving this year. Or more!!

My niece and her husband will be home for Christmas this year. He’s returning from a tour in Iraq. We are all so thankful for his safe return. Do you know someone serving overseas? Share your story with us. We'll gladly keep them in our prayers.

Pat Davids


18 comments:

  1. Im not an American but I do appreciate the sacrifice the aussie diggers have made for my country. I actually have an operation Santa ornament its from the army and says proud to be serving.
    My friends daughter joined the army this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Thank you for this reminder. Any time is great time to honor those who serve to give us the freedoms we have.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't presently know anyone serving this country overseas but Vietnam was during my last year in college and the years immediately after. I worked in the USO that last year of college even tho it meant taking a bus to downtown and back to college dorm after dark but it was worth it. And I totally agree with the idea of put flags on our Christmas trees but we also need to have one flying from our homes all year long as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a grandson in the army and I'm always concerned about his safety.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pat, thanks for your great post! I'm so thankful for our freedom of worship. We are very blessed! And I pray for safety for all those who are currently serving.

    Jenny, I've never heard of the Aussie Diggers. Very interesting term. I'll be sure to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am frequently humbled by the amount of freedom we have in our country. We owe that to a long line of men and women who put their lives on the line. I can't think of a better time than Christmas to remember them. thanks for the post, Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the post Pat. We never want to take our troops for granted. I appreciate them so much. We are honored by their service.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Pat, this is a time when we should be remembering those who give so much of their lives to keep us safe and free.

    Another friend just emailed this to me. It's legit.
    XEROX IS DOING SOMETHING COOL

    If you go to this web site, www.LetsSayThanks.com you can pick out a thank you card and Xerox will print it and it will be sent to a soldier that is currently serving in Iraq. You can't pick out who gets it, but it will go to a member of the armed services.

    How AMAZING it would be if we could get everyone we know to send one!!! It is FREE and it only takes a moment.

    Why not?
    Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our younger of two sons is serving in the army. He is not over seas right now but came home before Christmas last year and will be going back in a few short months from now. I'm glad the Seven Flags a Flying was added to the fun.
    Pam Williams
    cepjwms at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wilma,
    I'll keep you and your grandson in my prayers. What's his name?
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pamela J.
    You must be very proud of your son for serving his country. Hugs to you.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lyn,
    What a great idea. I'm passing it along.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  13. Missy, Digger is a term for aussie soldiers that came about during ww1
    I think its to do with digging in in Galipoli but now sure we just call them diggers. I have a couple of friends in the USA who have a son and one has a grandson in Iraq at present.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pat,
    What a great post. I remember when I saw our 12 days division, I thought that flags was perfect for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pat,
    I can't express the welled-up feeling in side me when I saw my boys (my older one served for 6 years also)in uniform or visited them where they were stationed. I get that feeling when I see others in uniform, even the every day work clothes, when we travel and are close to military posts. Yes, I am proud of my son(s) and of all those who serve our country. Thanks. My young son now has a wife and three children in North Carolina. My older son and his wife now serve the Lord as Associate Pastor and wife in Cordova Tennessee. Both are in an army and serving with their whole heart.
    Pamela J (Pam Williams)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pamela J,
    I know exactly that feeling of pride that sweeps up from your toes and pushes a lump into your throat and makes tears blur your vision just when you want to see them most clearly.

    My husband served 6 years in the Navy aboard submarines. Although it was 35 years ago I remember vivily the Christmass Eve his boat steamed into the Naval Yard in Groton, CT. with the flag flying from the conning tower and those boys lined up along her bow.

    What a sight.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the reminder. I love anything patriotic.

    ABreading4fun [at] gmail [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for this inspiring and wonderful post. I am always appreciative of the sacrifices that are made for our freedom.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive