Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Remembering the Titanic

As we close on the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic, I thought I would say a few words on the subject.

While the exact number of casualties was in dispute, we can still tell you that too many lost their lives that fateful night. 

And yes, there was a novel written years before that bore eerie similarities to the Titanic tragedy. In fact, there were several. Check out this link for the almost hair raising tales. Titanic predictions

But in actuality, the theme of a giant ship sinking and not having enough lifeboats was actually common back then. Remember the time in which these events and stories took place. The middle class was rising from the poor ranks and all men and women were gaining rights usually preserved for the the wealthy and powerful. Such stories as those written before the Titanic sailed were natural warnings of a world in a state of flux.

As our world is, also. 

Now, as cities tied to this terrible disaster commemorate it, such as in Halifax, where most of the victims are buried, and where you can still find many artifacts from the doomed oceanliner here, we can reflect on how important, and how fragile, our lives are.  

We are all important, and the inquiry that resulted from the Titanic disaster recommended measures to emphasize that.

On the 15th of April, take a moment to remember the disaster, and how each life is precious and should be treated as such.   


 Photo: RMS Titanic newsprint image from The Daily Graphic - London, 20 April 1912. Source: Nova Scotia Archives

By Barbara Phinney
Fatal Secrets
Silent Protector
Souvenirs
find these stories and others here

9 comments:

  1. I toured a Titanic exhibit. Before going in, you were given a ticket to board. On the ticket was the name of a passenger. As you left the exhibit, you could look in a book to see if you lived.
    I didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, Barbara. It makes sense. I've been researching shipwrecks for an upcoming story. Fascinating untold stories lie beneath our oceans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat post, Barbara. I'm as intrigued by the Titanic and the stories surrounding it as everyone else. Pamela, that's a unique twist. There's a new Titanic replica/museum near my hometown, in Pigeon Forge, TN. Next time I visit, I'll have to make a point of going there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, I was a fifth/sixth grade teacher when I did this. I took my whole class. It was interesting to see my students faces when they had to check whether they lived or died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that made the event more real in their minds!

      Delete
  5. I have always been interested in the Titanic. My mom and I went to Brandson, MO and went throught the Titanic exhibit there. Very enlightening. Yes, I was researching a book but that didn't take away from the fact that they were real people with real lives.

    Pamela, they did the same thing with the ticket, only theirs is a wall of names. I lived and so did my mom. I was a maid, she was a lady of "class".

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are going on a cruise in the Baltic this summer. With all the recent problems with cruises, people keep asking me why we are going. I like going on cruises. You can see a lot without having to figure out where you are going to eat or stay each night, but I don't think I'd like to do a transatlantic cruise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a very good reminder Barbara! And Pamela that is really neat, although sad too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ladies, all of you, thank you for dropping by. I am sorry I didn't get here sooner, but I have been ill. I agree with Merrilee, that cruises are a nice, stress free way to travel.
    Halifax is one of many places commemorating this terrible incident. I hope some of you can get up this way sometime to see all that Halifax did for the victims.
    Did you know that ministers told their flocks not to leave their homes when the ships carrying the remains returned to port? That day, all the church bells rang out for the victims.
    And that the dock workers that day when the ships returned with the bodies, all stood on shore and took off their hats while they entered port?
    Did you notice that there are so few photographs showing the aftermath and the morgues, etc? This is because it was considered disrespectful to the victims.
    Halifax is continuing to strive to keep this event tasteful and respectful, also.
    We have to continue to remember that they were humans, loved by God.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Write for Love Inspired Romance?

Write for Love Inspired Romance?
If you do and would like to join this blog, please contact either Margaret Daley or Pamela Tracy

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive